Maddison Kitching (born 1989) is an emerging artist based in Naarm/Melbourne. Since childhood, he has been fascinated with reptiles and amphibians an interest which has extended to include Australia’s unique flora and fauna - manifested in his art practice today. He uses painting, collage and sculpture to assist him to understand human relationships with nature. Recent projects have reflected on; the role that symbols of Australian animals play in shaping national psyche, the use of animals in political diplomacy and the commodification of places perpetuated through the tourism industry. Through his work, he aims to address topics which can improve our relationships with place & flora and fauna.
Living on unceded Wurundjeri and Boonwurung land.
Represented by Aster + Asha Gallery, Brisbane, Australia.
To view Maddison’s illustration, mural painting and graphic scribing work click here.
– Soft power, Readings, 309 Lygon Street, Carlton, Victoria, Australia. 18th - 22nd May
– Here, there, everywhere, KINGS ARI, 69 Capel Street, West Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. 3rd - 26th February
– Papier-mâché, group exhibition (curated by Louise Klerks and Maddison Kitching) featuring Rachel Ang, Fergus Binns, Matilda Davis, Jason Hamilton, Brendan Huntley, Maddison Kitching, Alasdair McLuckie, Nabilah Nordin, The Ryan Sisters and Isadora Vaughan, Missing Persons, Level 4, Room 11-12, 37 Swanston St, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. 11th - 26th June
– Blue Sky at Night, c3 Art Space, Abbotsford Convent, 1 St Heliers St, Abbotsford, Victoria. Australia.
8th April - 3rd May (cancelled due to COVID-19)
– Altered Zones, digital zine designed and edited by Tara Kenny and Sam Hains, New York, USA
– Under a clear blue sky (as part of Open Spaces Festival), Abbotsford Convent,
1 St Heliers St, Abbotsford, Victoria. Australia. 9th - 10th November
– I’ve been everywhere man, Stockroom Kyneton, 98 Piper Street, Kyneton, Victoria, Australia.
8th June - July 7th
– Lucky Country Escapes (as part of Showtime), Testing Grounds, 1 City Road, Southbank, Victoria, Australia.
– Lucky Country Escapes (as part of Critical Mass), Testing Grounds, 1 City Road, Southbank, Victoria, Australia. 12th September - 22nd September
– A partial view, Chapter House Lane, Chapter House Lane, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
18th January - 24th February
– Discover Gippsland!, Seventh Gallery, 155 Gertrude Street, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia.
25th January - 10th February
– Out of Touch, Out of Place, Rubicon ARI, Level 1/309 Queensberry Street, North Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. 25th May - 11th June
– Invasion of the Mulberry Mansion, 5 Mulberry Street, Richmond, Victoria. 25th April - 9th May
– Daisylegs Opening: Fraser Island, Daisylegs Studio collaboration with Jamie Edward, 9 Carlton Street, Prahran, Victoria. 22nd August - 22nd September
Selected group projects:
– Metanoia, Casa Lü, Correggio 42, Ciudad de Los Deportes, Mexico City, Mexico. 3rd - 5th November, 2023
– Mellow Thoughts, Aster + Asha Gallery, 1–2/53–55 Cronulla Ave, Mermaid Beach, Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia. 14th - 15th May, 2022
– Ecoluxx$ (co-curated with Rebecca McCauley and Aaron Claringbold) featuring Steven Rhall, Claire Robertson, Rebecca McCauley, Neika Lehman, Maddison Kitching and Aaron Claringbold, Kings ARI, 171 King Street, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. 3rd November - 24th November, 2018
– Seven Year Itch, Chapter House Lane, Chapter House Lane, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
1st November - 31st December, 2018
– Variations (curated by Sophie Moshakis), Collins Place Gallery, 45 Collins Street, Melbourne. 10th - 18th August, 2018
– Turbulent Exposure, Junior Space, Collingwood. 5th October - 18th October, 2017
– Thongs, LON Gallery, Collingwood, Victoria. 14th June - 8th July, 2017
– April Group Show, James Makin Gallery, Collingwood, Victoria. 5th April - 29th April, 2017
– Twice Lucky (curated by Lara Odessa), N/A Space, Brunswick East, Victoria. 25th November, 2016
– All in One Space, Tiny Tailor Gallery, Chippendale, New South Wales. 7th July - 21st July, 2016
– At the Beginning, Tiny Tailor Gallery, Chippendale, New South Wales. 11th February - 11th March, 2016
– Freedom (curated by Ella Krivanek), Space Space Gallery, 1 Chome-8-9 Iwadominami Komae, Tokyo, Japan. 28th March - 11th April, 2015
– People and Place, Richmond Town Hall, 333 Bridge Road, Richmond, Victoria. 2nd April - 28th May, 2014
– Cookin’ - House of Bricks Grand Retrospective Group Show, House of Bricks, 40 Budd Street, Collingwood. 25th April - 5th May, 2014
– Freud in the Outback catalogue essay written by Amy rudder
– A partial view catalogue essay written by Andy Butler
– Discover Freely written by Rebecca McCauley
– The Design Files, 2018
– Beyond The Opening, 2018
– Casa Lu, Mexico City, Mexico, September 2022
– Creative Development Program, Testing Grounds, Southbank, December 2020
– Cowwarr Art Space, Cowwarr, Gippsland, Victoria, December 2018
– Corporate Koala instagram account